The next thing I did was to veneer and glue up the opening cabinet sides. This required veneering up panels with birdseye maple and quilted maple solid wood edgings. I mitered the edges and fortified the joint with biscuits and walnut splines. I made my own spline jig from scraps, it was extremely easy to do in about 30 min of time. After everything was glued up, I finished the inside of the outside compartments and the doors with a french polish. I mortised in the knife hinges and assembled the doors to the sides. I then drilled in holes for a bullet catch. The catch came with a strike plate but the tolerances were very tight and I didn’t like the look. So I employed a simple trick to find out the exact point where the bullet stopped at close. I put a piece of masking tape on the receiving side of the cabinet and closed the door. The tape showed this point by being more firmly affixed to the receiving end versus the lightly applied rest of the tape. I drilled a very shallow hole with a large drill bit for a bullet stop rest. I finished it by adding dye to match the walnut veneer.
The next step is to create the top box portion. This was with solid curly maple with mitered and biscuited construction. It utilizes the top of the cabinet for the bottom. I fixed it to the top utilizing pocket screws. I created the top of the box with 1/2 plywood veneered with quilted sapele and backer curly maple. I then framed with solid curly maple.
At this point, the cabinet was basically complete.