Continuing from the first post, I went about constructing this design. the first step was to make the solid wood base. I did so with curly maple lumber. I glued up stock thick enough for the legs to curve and taper them. Before cutting the legs, I cut the mortises. Post mortising, the legs were rough cut on the bandsaw. I cleaned up the sawmarks with a simple drum sander. I applied a dye mixture to add some color to the base. The base was then finished with pad applied shellac and a wax topcoat.
The next step was to begin veneering the panels to be used for the cabinet pieces. I used a good quality 3/4 plywood and veneered both sides and with multiple different veneers. To make doing a profile on the edges possible, I framed each component on visible areas with solid wood walnut.